Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Building a Silver Lining Mentality

If you have spent any amount of time on plant earth, you already know life is filled with unexpected moments. Although when we wake it feels like any other day, at any point it can quickly get off-course. So when it does how do you manage the shift? I have found most people fall into one of two mindsets. They either have a silver lining mentality or are slowly consumed with negative thoughts. Either way the choice is ours to make. 

Today was one of those days, when an unexpected message arrived letting me and my siblings know of a health issue related to our father who is now in his mid-80's. I quickly decided to be by his side. What transpired next  was an afternoon of shared moments filled with stories about his life adventures. I can't remember the last time he and I had a chance to sit alone and just talk so I asked question after question. 

"What was it like, dad, to fight in the Korean war?"

I quickly learned about Waldo, a local who worked at his campsite, who on occasion would forget to fill the oil barrel that kept the soldiers warm at night. U.S. military soldiers were issued 2 wool blankets each. Even so, on occasion, dad went around to the bunks of soldiers on night missions and "borrowed" a blanket. He recanted the night he slept under 8 wool blankets because Waldo had forgotten to fill the oil barrel. He said his impromptu solution brought him one of the best night's of sleep in the midst of war. Although, heed this warning, per my father...NEVER wear wool underwear, even if its standard issue, because it's hugely uncomfortable!

"Of all the careers you could pick in the U.S. Air Force, why cryptologic linguist?"

His response was the best story I've ever heard him tell. He was instructed to take a test without knowing its contents. He obeyed the instructions, executed the test and turned it in to the administrator who then questioned him as to whether or not he was truly done to which he replied "yes". 

The administrator went on to inform him "You just completed a 4 hour test in 30 minutes. How is that possible?". He politely responded "The creator of the test made an error in the last portion of the exam. Allowing me to back into the answer and solve the question, thus breaking the code of the encrypted message."

Later he was questioned by military officials who were certain he had cheated. After answering a barrage of questions, they arrived at a conclusion. He really did complete a 4 hour test in 30 minutes. 

Silver Lining Mentality
Today was just another day in life where both my father and I could have been overwhelmed by what lies ahead. Instead, we chose a Silver Lining Mentality. We found happiness and joy inside the darkness and I will forever cherish the day I spent asking my father a thousand questions and admiring the adventuresome spirit he has for life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment